Clear Criminal Record -

     Many people are trying to find out how to clear their criminal record or how to get something off their record (known as an expungement).

Steps to Clear your Record

       The first step is to find out what is on your record. The quickest way to get your criminal record is to retrieve your court papers that were given to you at the time of your conviction. The court paperwork will have the information that you will need, such as the name of the Court, the case number,and the charges that formed your conviction. Many times the conviction will be a result of some sort of negotiation where the initial charges were modified or reduced in exchange for a plea of guilty or no contest.

       If you are unable to find a copy of your court paperwork, then contact your former attorney and ask him/her for the information. You can always go back to the same courthouse where your matter was handled and the clerk of the court will provide you with a copy of the court paperwork. Ask for a copy of the final judgment.

Department of Justice, Criminal Records Division

       If all else fails, you can always contact the Department of Justice, Criminal Records Division, located at 4949 Broadway, First Floor, Sacramento, CA. Phone number is (916) 227-3400. They may charge a fee for this service.

       Once you have determined what convictions you suffered, then there are various options available to you, depending on whether it was a misdemeanor or a felony, and if it was a felony, were you sentenced to state prison. Visit Misdemeanor Expungement and/or Felony Expungement in this section of the website for more information.

- Written by , Attorney at Law





History of Criminal Law
Drug Offenses

  Diversion Programs
Three Strikes Law
Property Crimes
Violent Crimes
  Domestic Violence
  Child Abuse
Sex Crimes
  Megan's Law
Firearms and Weapons
White Collar Crime
Victimless Crimes
Juvenile Law
California DMV
California DUI
Court System
Felony Procedures
  Misdemeanor Procedures
Criminal Appeals
    - Appealing a Felony
    - Appealing a Misdemeanor
    - Appealing an Infraction
    - Appellate Attorney
Post Conviction Relief
    - Clear Criminal Record
    - Felony Expungement
    - Misdemeanor Expungement
    - Pardon
California Penal Code
California Prisons
Federal Crimes
Victims Rights

Selecting an Attorney
   Criminal Law Specialist
   California State Bar

Site Map - Copyright © 2009 - 2012 - All Rights Reserved - - Disclaimer/Privacy Policy - About Us